
I've always been drawn to dancing. It's not that I am willing to break out moves in public, but I have always dreamed of being that beautiful girl in that beautiful dress being twirled around the dance floor in the arms of her true love. Recently, that image has become a powerful parallel in my life. Now, I do believe that we can be guilty of making God too human, molding Him into something or someone who fits who we are and what we want. However, I also believe that God uses things that are special, meaningful, and unique to us to give us glimpes of who He is. A couple months ago, I was really struggling with self-worth. I felt unloved, unlovable, and just plain not good enough. One night while I was praying, I asked God to pour out truth in my life. I wanted to be keenly aware of His love for me, His delight in me, and my worth in His eyes. That night, a picture came into my mind. There was a big room with a beautiful wooden dance floor. In the middle of the room, Jesus stood gently calling me over to Him. At first I wouldn't go, but when I did, I let Him embrace me and begin to twirl me around the room. As I looked up, into His eyes, I couldn't believe the love for me that rested there. It wasn't a love because He thought I was perfect. It was a love that has seen every bit of my filth and still loved me deeper than I could fathom. That picture stuck in my heart. A few weeks later, I found myself really struggling with jealousy. I looked at the women around me who had a man daily telling them they were beautiful and cherished. I wanted that reassurace so badly and found that I was being easily distracted from my identity in Christ. When I realized this, an addition was made to my dancing picture. Now, instead of it just being me and Jesus on the dance floor, there were couples dancing all around us. Everytime I felt myself being distracted by or jealous of a couple, I would add them to the dance floor. The amazing thing is, as my Jesus spun me amidst all these other people, I couldn't take my eyes off of Him. So many distractions surrounded me, but the love and care in the eyes of Jesus made it too hard to look away! Each time I am tempted to feel unloved, each time I find myself being bothered by or becoming jealous of others, I close my eyes and find myself dancing with my Savior. My dance partner, my Jesus, will never fail me. Whether I am having a bad hair day, say the wrong thing at the wrong time, am running late, or am just plain not fun to be around, He chooses me. He calls me over, takes me into His arms, and dances with me to the beautiful and endless song of His love. Today, I listened to a song that I had heard a long time ago but had forgotten about. As I listened to the words, I was in absolute awe. The lyrics of the song were speaking my heart...perfectly. I am taken...I am in love....I am captivated.
Picture from: http://theresaswain.wordpress.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment