Tuesday, March 27, 2018

One Night


For one night I held you when you let me near;
letting you go when you drew back in fear.

One bed tonight, yet another tomorrow.
I feel my heart buckle beneath the crush of your sorrow.

You are living a nightmare filled with hellish unknowns;
What you desperately need is your worth to be shown.

For one night I rocked you and stroked your hair;
For one night I carried the load that you bear.

I begged God for a home, a perfect fit,
For you, sweet one, so wonderfully knit.

For your mama you screamed as I held you tight;
I, too, cried for your mama, and her pain tonight.

For one night I tucked you and sang you a song;
I prayed for your journey, one bound to be long.

I washed your clothes,  few--if any--in tow;
But not your bear for that smell is the safety you know.

For one night, I screamed for your story unfair;
For one night, I lived out the truth that I care. 

I ache to be your hero--to mend your broken heart,
But that is not my role--though I do play a part.

For this one night, I will embrace you and cherish you as my own;
For this one night, I will speak truth you may have never known.

I will pray for seeds to be planted deeply in you,
Seeds that will grow and point to what’s true.

My heart screams that one night is not nearly enough,
 But for tonight, dear one, you don’t have to be tough.

You are loved, you are cherished, you are seen, you are His--
May this one night speak volumes to the truth of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment