Dear 2014,
You were perhaps the most life-changing 365 days I have
experienced thus far. Between your bookends, I traveled to Haiti where my flame
for missions was fanned. I buried my brother and began a journey of deepest
hurt and healing. I graduated from college and moved to Wichita. I married my
sweet Silas and am slowly beginning to learn to love and be loved as our Father
loves. Marriage has brought the purest of joys while I have thrashed and
questioned beneath the weight of commitment and the beautiful trial that is
matrimony. I became a teacher and realized even further the depth of my passion
for reaching those with special needs, and yet found myself drowning in the
system. Friendships faded and I battled not feeling well for months. As I have
many times before, I experienced loss, heartache, and the scorching blaze of
refining fire. I felt the frozen fingers of bitterness squeezing the very life
from my soul. I clawed and grasped in a desperate attempt to cling to all that
has held my identity for 22 years, screaming at God to show up. I questioned,
pleaded, and doubted. My Father faithfully dissolved, one by one, the idols
that have held my identity captive for so long. I found myself flailing, no
longer able to find fulfillment in anything but everything that HE is. As you
draw to a close 2014, it could be easy to hope that this year is easier. I
could wish for a year with less pain, less decisions, and less weakness. I
could choose to ask for a year where I will be the one to shine, where my marriage
will be a fairytale, where my career will be fulfilling and certain, where
those I love are guaranteed safety. I could demand a nice house and the
American dream. But then…where would the beauty be? I am only here, I am only gifted, able, and
beautifully formed in His image so that HE may be glorified! You were far from
easy, 2014. But you were beautiful. The breath-taking handprint of the reigning
King in unmistakably present within your each and every moment. I was held, I
was refined, I was provided for, I was fought for. God faithfully stripped away
that which marred His beauty in my life and gently tended to that which would
make me more like Him. He has fought for my heart through my rejection,
bitterness, and heartbreak. Therefore, I will welcome 2015 with expectation and
excitement of how God will glorify Himself in the coming days. I know that the
refining has only just begun. More idols will await their annihilation, more
lessons must be learned, and more change than ever is on the horizon. Through
it all, God will provide as He always has. Because of His sovereignty and
goodness, I step forward with my husband in confidence and faith. I will choose
to cling to my Faithful Father, to His promises, and to my husband. Together,
Silas and I will hold with open hands all that He has given, taken, and is yet
to give and take. GLORY be to the God most high, who lavishes His grace, favor,
and blessing on His children. I praise Him for all that you were, 2014, and for
all that 2015 is yet to reveal.
Sincerly,




No comments:
Post a Comment