The other day, I was having a rare, terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day. I had reached the point of feeling so discouraged I felt rather worthless. A dear friend of mine gave me a gift card and sent me to a local coffee shop for a date with Jesus. At first I didn't even know what to say to Him. Our communication line felt so clogged with the lies I was believing. I told Him all I could do was listen. I desperately pleaded for Him to tell me what I needed to hear. Beyond that, I had no words. As I sat, two words kept coming to my mind. "Soul Keeper...Soul Keeper...Soul Keeper." Not finding these words very helpful, I continued to beg God to reach out to me, to reveal to me what was happening inside of me! But again: "Soul keeper....soul keeper...soul keeper." After moments of sitting there, I began to understand. Who had I been allowing to be the keeper of not just my soul, but my heart, and my worth? Everyone BUT God. I was letting my friends be the keepers of my heart and soul, and so I would compare myself to them and fall short as a friend and Chrsitian. I would let the girls on my floor be the keepers of my heart and soul, and again, I would fall short, this time as an RA. Again and I again I could think of people I was allowing to be my keeper, people OTHER than my Heavenly Father. This realization was so simple, so freeing. In the moments that followed, I wrote this poem.Heart Keeper
My heart is longing for a keeper
One who knows, yet loves me deeper
He would not be your average joe
But would protect me and watch me grow
He would not woo with empty words
But through his love I’d be assured
He’d never say ‘you’re not good enough’
But hold me gently when the way is tough
He would not focus on my outer shell
But glimpse my heart and know all is well
When the key to my heart he’s been granted to hold
He will know he’s beholding beauty untold
He would never lead me from the path to stray
But in safety and purity help me to stay
He wouldn’t choose my sin to ignore
But confront me in truth, my freedom to soar
A tear of mine he would not look past
But he’d hear my heartache and hold me fast
Could there be one who does exist?
Could my own Beloved be in my midst?
The search is painful, lonely, and dark
This sinful world has left its mark.
I could give my heart to all who ask
But then I’d be desolate, my pain to mask.
My heart has finally found its keeper
The One whose love is stronger and deeper
I’ll never know why I choose to feel
Unwanted, unloved, my beauty concealed
For He knows my value, beauty and worth,
It was by His hand my life was brought forth
This Keeper does not hide behind His pride
But in utmost humility, He suffered and died
He never asks me to perform
The mistakes I make He never does scorn
Instead He lifts me from the shame
Whispers ‘I love you’ and calls me by name
He does not ask that I try to repay
But simply that Him, I trust and obey
All along He has carried me through
And I find to Him all my praise is due.
I search and search when all along
He is the One whose love is my song
To Him alone I do fully give
Not just my soul, but the life I do live.
He is the lover who holds my heart
Whose known me and claimed me from the very start
With sweet delight over me He sings
As I’m being transformed by the King of Kings
He alone is worthy to possess
The key to my all, for I’m His princess.
He's enthralled by my beauty, no matter the day
For He sees my heart and made it that way
Heart keeper of mine, it’s you I do choose
And for You alone, my life I do lose.
Hold me, keep me, with me dance and sway
For my heart is Yours and this I do pray
My selfishness, pride, and self-glory to fall
For it’s all about You, I’m truly so small.
All glory to You, Precious Father and King
May my life be a selfless offering
Image from: http://www.graphicshunt.com
You have a beautiful heart little Nibbles. I love who you are. Keep looking up.
ReplyDeleteThanks Han. Love you so much!
ReplyDelete