Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Godly Women--Through the Eyes of Men


It comes as no surprise that men and women are quite different. Because we are so different, it can be hard to see life through the other's eyes. Some of the time, that is ok! Honestly, I'm ok with sometimes shaking my head and saying, "You're a boy and I do NOT understand you!" :) Other times though, I wonder what we could gain from each other. How could we better protect each other and build each other up as brothers and sisters in Christ? So, after feeling led for quite sometime, I "interviewed" some brothers in Christ about issues such as womanhood, roles of women, modesty, etc. I wish I could share all their responses with you, but that would be one looooong post! So, I was forced to pick and choose. Here are some of their answers:

1) If you were to think about pursuing a woman, how important would the modesty of her clothing be to you?

--"....One of the top five attributes. A woman's sense of modesty can tell me a lot about her relationship to men, to herself, and to God.....there's also a difference between women who are modest out of shame and women who are modest out of their confidence in being God's daughters. ~Jace Perrodin~

--"Modesty is vital to me. (Immodesty) reveals insecurity, promiscuity, a heart valuing affirmation from man rather than God." ~Brandon Witt~

--"Extremely important. I want a woman who doesn't feel she needs to flaunt her body to be loved. ~Taylor Fair~


2) How accurately do you feel a woman's clothing reflects the condition of her heart?

--"It doesn't make her a terrible person, but it reveals an insecurity that poisons any possible relationship." ~Kyle West~

--"It gives insight. A modest woman is probably not obsessed with getting men's attention at all costs." ~Jace Perrodin~

--"I believe it is a pretty accurate reflection, at least from the self-image standpoint."
~Taylor Fair~

3) When you see a woman immodestly dressed, do you feel respected, disrespected, neither, or other?

--"I suppose at times I could feel somewhat disrespected because I feel like the woman is deliberatly trying to exploit my weakness as a man. I appreciate it most when a women goes out of her way not to make herself a stumbling block. Mostly, though, I feel sad that the woman apparently believes she has no value other than as 'eye candy.'" ~Kyle West~

--"I can sometimes get angry at them for presenting themselves as stumbling blocks, though this usually happens more with women who I know claim to follow Jesus. And, there are moments when my heart breaks. Sometimes when I see a girl dressed immodestly, it is as if God gives me a glimpse into her heart, the insecurity, the longing for love, to be called beautiful, to be cherished." ~Brandon Witt~

--"Sadness for her because she probably doesn't realize that the result will be the opposite of what she wants." ~Dennis Leake~

--"I feel disrespected in almost every case." ~Taylor Fair~

--"I feel frustrated because I know that she probably has no idea how difficult it can be to keep a pure mindset WITHOUT her dressing immodestly, let alone with her not covering herself properly." ~Jordan Robson~

4) What do you believe the most important biblical roles of women are?

--"Motherhood is obviously really important. Beyond that, I think we underemphasize the importance of spiritual partnership involved in marriage...One of women's most important roles is to support her husband both spiritually and physically, to build him up in places where he is weak and help him do or achieve things he could not do or achieve on his own."
~Kyle West~

--"...Submit to Christ, submit to their husbands if they are called to marriage, and to be a Godly mother (They don't have to have biological children to be a mom!)...He (her husband) needs her in so many ways: Encourager, Servant, Wisdom giver. To raise up Godly children is one of the greatest challenges and privileges." ~Brandon Witt~

--"In a marriage setting, the woman is to love, respect, and support her husband. She should spur him on toward holiness by providing encouragement and confrontation as it is needed."
~Jordan Robson~

5) When you see today's women rebelling against "traditional (Biblical) womanhood," how supportive do you feel of their beliefs?

--"...Mostly, I feel sorry for them...true womanhood is about something much deeper. It's about cultivating a spirit of love, compassion, tenderness, and quiet strength, and resting confidently as a princess in God's arms." ~Kyle West~

--"I'm not supportive at all....Watching women lead and men stand by passively, disturbs me deeply. It also convicts me of my lack of leadership and passivity." ~Brandon Witt~

--"...Supporting that would mean helping them fail to find fulfillment and purpose."
~Dennis Leake~

--"I wish women would not lead so much and I wish (probably more strongly about this one) that men would step up and lead like they ought to." ~Jordan Robson~

6) What qualities do you believe a Godly woman will have/what qualities are most important to you in a woman?

--"She is more in love with God than anyone else. Love is what she exhales, thinks, and practices. Her life is an unending prayer." ~Jace Perrodin~

--"...Loves the Word and immerses herself in it. She submits herself to leadership, her father and the church she attends. She is teachable, humble, always willing to listen, always standing on truth. She is one who chooses joy and radiates it to others. She is patient and trustworthy. His glory is displayed through her." ~Brandon Witt~

--"...Involved in an intimate romance with Jesus Christ." ~Dennis Leake~

--"Puts her relationship with God BEFORE her personal, earthly relationship with her partner." ~Taylor Fair~

7) What does beauty mean or look like to you?

--"I'd be lying if I said men don't consider a woman's physical beauty, but that shouldn't be what makes us really love a woman in a way that makes us never want to give her up...beauty that sets a woman apart comes from how amazing her compassion is, how encouraging her confidence in God is, and how strong her desire to follow Christ is." ~Kyle West~

--"There's a thousand lovely-looking women out there. But that kind of beauty gets fat and wrinkly and grey-haired after a while (sorry). When a woman moves in a constant glow of divine peace and joy, I know I have found a truly Beautiful woman." ~Jace Perrodin~

--"I can tell you with complete honesty that the most attractive thing to me is a woman who loves Jesus and loves people in a real and authentic way. The joy that radiates off her face is so beautiful it overwhelms me sometimes. Beauty is seeing Jesus and reflecting His glory for others to see." ~Brandon Witt~

--"The ultimate inner beauty comes from having a firm relationship with God. There is also physical beauty, but it is easy to tell if the physical beauty has a partnership with the inside as well." ~Taylor Fair~


I am so thankful that these guys were willing to share. I truly believe that is vital for these topics to be shared. Women, let's allow this to challenge us. What is beauty? What is our role? How can we love God and people in such a way that is radiates from our very being?We are so often blinded by the way the world defines us. God has an amazing purpose for us, but the only place we will discover it is in the precious love and beauty of our King. How amazing is it to be a true princess?! We aren't just daughters of a king...we are daughters of THE King of Kings. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I would recommend checking out the below link if you haven't already done so.
    http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember seeing this before! Thanks for sharing! :) I'll check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Micah,
    I want you to know, 'your love 4 GOD' is such a blessing to me & others that read your blog!! If U feel led of GOD 2 do so, please 'pray' for my 3 granddaughters,Samantha-age 20, Mackenzie-age 16, & Brianna-age 16. They profess Christ as their Savior, but give in to 'peer pressure' in some things such as 'modesty'...please pray 4 them to 'grow in CHRIST & be strong in CHRIST. THANK U soo much. Mrs. Toni Myers ;o)

    ReplyDelete