Friends, I am so sorry I have abandoned blogging for so long! Partway through the Ruth study, life got pretty crazy! My brother and grandpa were both not doing well health-wise, and this led to quite a bit of unexpected travels! As you can tell, it took me a while to get back on track. Even though this summer may not have been what I had always thought the summer before college would look like, I look over my shoulder and see a summer full of God's goodness, providence, and comfort. In all honesty, I was terrified about starting college. I like change, but in small doses. There just seemed to be so many unknowns, and I believe that is what we as humans fear most. I felt like I was losing a lot and walking somewhat blindly. Hmm...I guess that is why we are told to walk by faith, not by sight! :) Even throughout the fear, it was comforting to know that I was in the will of God. In fact, here is the story of why I am even at Tabor: Last December, I had spent a week observing my sister teaching her special-ed class in CA. When the week was over, we were on our way to the LA airport and I couldn't keep my mind from thinking of the future. I thought I would probably end up at a college, but didn't want to be 100% set on that. Rather than being solely a career driven woman, I have always wanted to answer whatever call God gives me. I started praying that God would clearly show me where he wanted me to be, especially if it was at a school since I needed to begin the paperwork and such. When we got to the airport, I met a guy who recognized my Sterling backpack and told me he was a pastor in Hillsboro, KS and had children who had gone to Tabor. He sat with me and we talked for quite a while. Then, he got up to get a drink and ran into two Tabor students to whom he introduced me. After talking to him for a while longer, I felt God nudging me to apply to Tabor. So, I did! And here I am. :) In fact, I ran into the pastor the first week of school and he could hardly believe the story! I also visited his church and will probably attend there and be able to serve in the children's ministries. :) Another thing I had been fervently praying about was a car. I had been saving up for several months but just didn't have the money I thought I would. I investigated several opportunities that came my way but nothing ever worked out. There was always some reason that I couldn't get a car. I prayed and prayed that God would provide. I reminded myself of Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Yet, I continued to search and not be content....and get worried! Finally, God just had to hit me over the head one afternoon while I was finishing up a trip to Colorado. After losing the summer work I had lined up because of family emergencies, I just knew I would leave for college without a car. It was frustrating--I wouldn't be able to drive to Wichita to work, come home on weekends, or simply have the convenience. But that was just it. It was a convenience! The more I thought about it, the more ashamed I became of my stubbornness. I finally truly gave it to God. I told Him that I knew He wanted me to wait and that was ok. I would survive. It fact, I would thrive. God was going with me, and that is all I needed. I finally was going to be content. It was such a wonderful feeling! Little did I know, God had something HUGE for me in the near future. That night, some friends asked me if they could take me out to dinner the next night when I got back to Kansas. After our meal the next night, we went out to the car and there was a small pink gift bag on the driver's seat with my name on it. Inside were the keys and paperwork to their car! I was blown away as you can probably imagine. I couldn't even stand up! By the time I had finished telling them what had happened just the day before, we were a wonderful example of the water works. Plus, it wasn't just a car...it was my dream car! A Pontiac Grand AM. :) For days, I just couldn't believe what had happened. This family had been praying over this decision for a few weeks and felt God give the go-ahead. Meanwhile, I was praying that God would help me give my desire to him. As soon as I opened my hands to give it up, he gave it right back in a much bigger and better form. So, I headed to Tabor a couple weeks later in my new car, nervous but knowing God was there with me, guiding my every step and hearing my every prayer. After being here for four weeks, it puts a smile on my face to thing of all the ways God has blessed me already. Growth, close friends, wonderful classes, ministry opportunities, the list goes on and on. So, that is where I am at in life--blessed, joyful, and more excited than ever to see where God will lead next! Thank you so much for your prayers! They are being heard and answered by one truly amazing God!
"Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love." ~1 Corinthians 13:13~***"And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!" ~Matthew 25:40~
Friday, September 17, 2010
God is Good!
Friends, I am so sorry I have abandoned blogging for so long! Partway through the Ruth study, life got pretty crazy! My brother and grandpa were both not doing well health-wise, and this led to quite a bit of unexpected travels! As you can tell, it took me a while to get back on track. Even though this summer may not have been what I had always thought the summer before college would look like, I look over my shoulder and see a summer full of God's goodness, providence, and comfort. In all honesty, I was terrified about starting college. I like change, but in small doses. There just seemed to be so many unknowns, and I believe that is what we as humans fear most. I felt like I was losing a lot and walking somewhat blindly. Hmm...I guess that is why we are told to walk by faith, not by sight! :) Even throughout the fear, it was comforting to know that I was in the will of God. In fact, here is the story of why I am even at Tabor: Last December, I had spent a week observing my sister teaching her special-ed class in CA. When the week was over, we were on our way to the LA airport and I couldn't keep my mind from thinking of the future. I thought I would probably end up at a college, but didn't want to be 100% set on that. Rather than being solely a career driven woman, I have always wanted to answer whatever call God gives me. I started praying that God would clearly show me where he wanted me to be, especially if it was at a school since I needed to begin the paperwork and such. When we got to the airport, I met a guy who recognized my Sterling backpack and told me he was a pastor in Hillsboro, KS and had children who had gone to Tabor. He sat with me and we talked for quite a while. Then, he got up to get a drink and ran into two Tabor students to whom he introduced me. After talking to him for a while longer, I felt God nudging me to apply to Tabor. So, I did! And here I am. :) In fact, I ran into the pastor the first week of school and he could hardly believe the story! I also visited his church and will probably attend there and be able to serve in the children's ministries. :) Another thing I had been fervently praying about was a car. I had been saving up for several months but just didn't have the money I thought I would. I investigated several opportunities that came my way but nothing ever worked out. There was always some reason that I couldn't get a car. I prayed and prayed that God would provide. I reminded myself of Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Yet, I continued to search and not be content....and get worried! Finally, God just had to hit me over the head one afternoon while I was finishing up a trip to Colorado. After losing the summer work I had lined up because of family emergencies, I just knew I would leave for college without a car. It was frustrating--I wouldn't be able to drive to Wichita to work, come home on weekends, or simply have the convenience. But that was just it. It was a convenience! The more I thought about it, the more ashamed I became of my stubbornness. I finally truly gave it to God. I told Him that I knew He wanted me to wait and that was ok. I would survive. It fact, I would thrive. God was going with me, and that is all I needed. I finally was going to be content. It was such a wonderful feeling! Little did I know, God had something HUGE for me in the near future. That night, some friends asked me if they could take me out to dinner the next night when I got back to Kansas. After our meal the next night, we went out to the car and there was a small pink gift bag on the driver's seat with my name on it. Inside were the keys and paperwork to their car! I was blown away as you can probably imagine. I couldn't even stand up! By the time I had finished telling them what had happened just the day before, we were a wonderful example of the water works. Plus, it wasn't just a car...it was my dream car! A Pontiac Grand AM. :) For days, I just couldn't believe what had happened. This family had been praying over this decision for a few weeks and felt God give the go-ahead. Meanwhile, I was praying that God would help me give my desire to him. As soon as I opened my hands to give it up, he gave it right back in a much bigger and better form. So, I headed to Tabor a couple weeks later in my new car, nervous but knowing God was there with me, guiding my every step and hearing my every prayer. After being here for four weeks, it puts a smile on my face to thing of all the ways God has blessed me already. Growth, close friends, wonderful classes, ministry opportunities, the list goes on and on. So, that is where I am at in life--blessed, joyful, and more excited than ever to see where God will lead next! Thank you so much for your prayers! They are being heard and answered by one truly amazing God!
Labels:
Blessing,
Christian Living,
God's Providence,
Ministry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HI Micah....Yeah...that's so cool. You'll love college. There's lots of good fun to be had and things to learn...and you don't know what sorts of blessings God will bestow on you while there...as you serve/follow Him these next few years :) :) That's awesome....
ReplyDeleteOh, I was really excited to hear the story about your car. My father and I have had really bad luck with cars and I could tell you some stories...funny now...not so funny then...but through it all God took care of us. We have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix...candy apple red with four doors...It's a nice car. My grandfather bought it for us and we got a super good deal because he paid cash on the barrel for it...everything up front..and at the time of purchase it had less than 50,000 miles and no accidents...so it was a total blessing beyond what we could have ever done ourselves...God provided...Let's see...we got that car in November 2008...and we'd been without a car for a year prior to that...
Anyway, your car story was really touching for me ;) :) :) It's awesome to see how God provides for our needs and He always provides BETTER than what we think we need/want :) :) :) Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)