Friday, June 18, 2010

Feeling vs. Promise


I have always been a rather...sensitive...person. Each of my feelings and emotions are vivid, strong, and can become controlling if I am not careful. As I have grown closer and closer to my Lord over the past several years, I have been so blessed to frequently feel His presence. Fear, sorrow, and whatever else the world brings seems to evaporate every time I close my eyes and focus on His nearness. Because I have felt His closeness and find such comfort in it, the few times when I am less aware of His presence are difficult for me. My first reaction is to search for unconfessed sin that may have caused a barrier between me and the King. I pray that He would show me anything that needs to be confessed. Doing this sometimes helps. Other times, I still feel like God is just not as close as I wish He was. I become fearful and discouraged. Overall, I am just "off." I make sure I am in The Word and plead with God to come close again. One day, I heard a speaker on Christian radio discuss my exact situation. He said that we must learn not to depend on emotion--it can change at any moment for any reason. Rather, we must go back to the promises we know are true--the promises that will never change! This is a lesson that I still struggle with at times. Yet, God is teaching me to let HIM completely be my God, rather than letting emotion be a god as well. Even when emotion might cloud how near God feels, I can always go back to His promise: "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." ~Hebrews 13:5~ How blessed we are to serve a King who desires to comfort us and hold us close to His heart! I could never thank Him enough.

6 comments:

  1. This was really encouraging for me today. I am also a sensitive person...I cry, laugh more easily than others..but I look at it as a blessing, too, because I think I'm more intune to what my friends are thinking and feeling. I was actually reading elsewhere about drawing near to God and trusting His promises earlier today!!! So true...I choose to believe HIS promises towards me because I KNOW that God will never lead me astray. I like the Scripture reference that you included!! Have a great day, Micah. Greetings from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah, what a breath of fresh air you are to myself, to my family and to our God! Stay in the Word! Stay in the Word! He will whisper truth into your soul. Life is hard, but it will refine you to His image. I am so thankful that you choose Jesus in your circumstances! Praise Him for His faithfulness to hold you close my sweet girl! We all have our walks, the key is what we do in our walk for Him! Even when it is hard and stinks! Smile!

    Thank you for blessing our Tressa!!!!!!!!!! She loves you so!

    Blessings! Linda

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant Aunt Linda and I didn't realize I put my name two times! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Micah - I just found you by way of Prairie Flower Farm and hope to become a follower, just not sure how. I am 59 yrs and like you have had a lot of hurt in my past. I think I knew deep down that God wanted me and was watching out for me and my life, but I was good at running away and turning my back on him. It is only in the last 20 yrs that I finally turned around and chose to go his way. In doing so he blessed me with a Family of Siblings I thought I had lost forever and after 2 failed marriages a truely Forever One. He is a husband who accepts me as I am including my new found faith in our Lord. I pray for him daily that he will find his way to God but I know as he did me, our Lord is watching out for him and when he is ready he will reach out him arms and gather him up to him. You are a special young woman. Keep up with your faith and you will be honoring and loving your future husband with a love that is blessed by the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Micah! I just wanted to say what an inspiration your faith in God has been to me. I just gave you the True Faith blogging award over at my blog.

    http://nocondemnation81.blogspot.com/2010/07/true-faith-blogging-award.html

    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Dakota! That was so kind. :)
    I find your blog to be and inspiration too! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete