The last two months have been a whirlwind for me and our
family because just over two months ago we stepped into the lives of being
foster parents when a little three year old boy stepped into our lives. What
has transpired since has been life altering to us and hopefully now inspiring
to you. In the months leading up to finally becoming licensed Micah and I had
many conversations with families and with each other on what to expect. We knew
that God had called us to respond tangibly to the James 1:27 by caring for
orphans (or in this case, children who have been separated from their families
for any reason). We knew God was going to be able to work. We knew it would be
hard, really hard. We knew that in it would be so hard at times that the only way
for it to work would for God to work. We knew all of this yet we did NOT know
how it would play out. In the past two months I have gotten to hold a little
boy while he cried, screamed, laughed, slept, and whimpered because he just
wanted to be held. I have gotten to witness a little boy begin to learn how to
say please and thank you, be respectful, show self-control, and memorize scripture.
I have experienced
the frustration of having to restart routines every Monday because rules aren’t
enforced on visits home and I have carried the weight of the knowledge that
someday I will have to say good bye. Now this is not to brag for Micah and I are
totally broken as parents and it is not to complain for many families are experiencing
far more trials than we, rather it is to reflect.
Since we accepted God’s call
for us to be foster parents we have gotten mainly two reactions from people
when they first find out. Either they caution about how not to take on too much
or they commend us while at the same time mentioning that they never could.
While I understand where both responses come from I think they are both crap.
The reality is that yes it is hard and yes maybe God has not called you
personally to adopt a dozen kids out of foster care but last time I checked God
called us all, Every Christian, to love and care for all orphans. No it’s not
glamorous like a trip to an overseas orphanage but it IS the GOSPEL! When did
we start letting fear keep us from loving? When did we start doubting the God
of the Universe and what HE can do when we obediently show up? When did we
start cautioning people when they stepped into a mission field instead of
asking “How can we support you” or simply celebrating with people what God is doing?
The reality is that there are dozens of children every night just in Kansas who
stay in a new house every night because no one will take them long term. The
reality is that there are hundreds of kids just in Kansas who are waiting to be
adopted. The reality is that Loving broken children who have experienced
countless trauma is extremely trying at times. Yet we are called to love
because Christ first loved us when we were broken children and homeless! As a
husband and father I am scared because I know inviting children into our home
will bring pain to me, my wife and my precious son. Yet I keep walking in faith
for I am scared of what will happen to my family if I don’t lead them in
following obediently what God has called us to do.
You may not be called to be a foster parent but if not may I
challenge you? Support those who are. Be gracious to those who are and to those
kids. Ask not how can you do this but how can I help you do this. Ask God how
you are supposed to love the orphans.
I am a foster parent not because it is convenient but
because God first loved me. Praise the LORD for all He has done and all He is going to do.
-Silas
-Silas

Good post, Silas. Its interesting to hear your perspective on things.
ReplyDelete