Three months. Three months isn’t a great deal of time…but
for me, the last 3 months have marked some of the longest of my 22 years. Three
months ago, I stood on stage with a pounding heart and gave myself to a Godly
man. I committed to walk life alongside him, to honor him, serve him, and love
him. When I spoke those words before a
sanctuary of witnesses, I knew they were weighty words. I knew they were
important and life changing. I knew I was making a promise for the good, the
bad, and the ugly. What I didn’t know was that I was making the decision to be weak,
broken, and challenged as I had never been before. I didn’t know how often and how drastically I
would fail to uphold these vows. I didn’t know that I was opening myself to a
time of deep pain and complete exposure. I would’ve said that I knew… but I certainly
didn’t understand. In the last three months, my dirtiest, most hidden filth has
broken through the surface of my heart and spilled into the view of not only
myself, but of my husband. I have done and said the most hurtful things perhaps
of my entire life. I have deeply wounded my husband and my Heavenly Father and
chosen to reject the forgiveness of both time and time again. After all the
planning, lace, and sparkles floated away, I found myself…disappointed.
Disappointed in myself for desiring to be a wife for so long and then being
horrible at it...disappointed in God for “making” me believe in the beauty of
something and then leaving me hanging. It has been HARD. I share these things
not because I am itching to air my dirty laundry, because I want to bash
marriage, or because I am proud of where my heart has been the last three
months. I share these things because they are not the end of the story. I share
them because my heart is aching to be honest, to speak to hearts and break
through the world’s shallow perceptions of not only marriage, but life and our
lack of contentment with it. If there is one word I believe God wants to teach
me right now, it is contentment. For 22 years, I have been overwhelmed by the
desire for the next step: As a child, I wanted to be a teenager. As a teenager,
I couldn’t wait to be a college girl. As a college girl, I believed I was far
past ready to be married. As a new bride, I still ache for more: when will we have
a more wide-spread ministry? When we will have a better marriage? When will we be
parents? When can we adopt? On…and on…and on. Time and time again, I allow my
thoughts and my fears to rage, controlling my “trust” in God and my willingness
to rest in His providence. All this time, my Father has been whispering to my
heart, “Rest in me. Trust my goodness. Rest.” My stubborn, controlling, sinful
heart has said that I trust Him, and yet I take things into my own hands again
and again. Marriage hasn’t been all of what I expected it to be….but God is
using it to make me beautiful and to make Himself known to me. I often miss the
days when I was independent…when I didn’t have to need another person. I could
come as go as I wanted, have time with God without the possibility of someone
walking into the living room at anytime, and pour myself out in ministry
endlessly. Marriage is hard and messy and refining….and beautiful. I am excited to watch God be glorified as our marriage continues to grow. I am deeply
loved by an incredible man of God. I have a partner, a constant listener and
encourager. I have the opportunity to love and encourage my husband and to grow
beneath him and alongside him. Most of all, I have the opportunity to seek and
know my God in ways I have not before. If you are at the time in your life where you
are single, enjoy it. Love it. Soak it up! How blessed you are to have these
sweet years of intimacy with God! Not that marriage takes away intimacy with
God, but it is a time of adjustment and learning how to seek God separately and
alongside your spouse. If you are married without children….love it! Soak it
up! Go for spontaneous ice cream dates at 11pm, travel, minister! If you are
married with children, if you are 50 and single, if you are 89….LOVE it. Soak
it up! It is true that no matter the life stage we are in, there will be
something to miss when the next stage comes and some things that are less than
ideal. Too often, we are so set on looking and dreaming ahead that we miss what
God is doing now and what He has already done My God is wise. He is love and
His plans for His children are good. No matter where I am (or am not) in life,
it is my new mission to thank Him always…thank Him for the hard and the
opportunities to grow. Thank Him for the good, the exciting, the fulfilled
dreams, the new dreams… and the dreams that are to die off. He IS good. He IS
worthy. It is only in knowing Him that we know anything good…and through Him,
wherever He leads is brimming with blessing.
"...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
-Philippians 4:11-13-
No comments:
Post a Comment