Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 1: God's Hand in Our Suffering (Ruth 1:1-22)


Today was the first day of the Ruth Bible Study. The message I heard was wonderful and made me even more excited for the rest of the week! It is such a joy to discover depth in the truth of God's Word! Although today's sermon was packed with many valuable points, lessons, and truths, some stood out to me more than others:
1) In Chapter one, a woman named Naomi loses her husband and two sons after they move from the land of God's people to the sinful city of Moab. During this time of great trial she decides to return to her hometown of Bethlehem. However, when her two daughters-in-law attempt to follow her, Naomi tells them they need not follow her, but should instead return to their hometown and try to find a better life. Verse 14 says: "...Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law goodbye, but Ruth clung to her." Ruth could have so easily followed Orpah and returned to their hometown, a Godless city brimming with worldly pleasure. Yet, verse 16 says: "But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." This is such a display of extraordinary faith on Ruth's part. Ruth came from a group of people who lived a life far from God. She really had no reason (in the world's eyes) to trust this God she didn't know. Yet, she stepped out in faith, willing to love her mother-in-law, and more importantly, submit to the King of Glory. In my lifetime, I have seen a great display of God's mighty works. I have walked with Him through the valleys and mountaintops. I have witnessed miracles. But I still sometimes find myself lacking faith. Ruth's example of such and extreme step of faith and love is an encouragement to my heart, and inspiration to take my own steps of faith--whether it feels safe or not. If a woman who didn't God could do it, I (a woman who knows Him personally) can too. :)
2) Looking at Naomi's situation, we might say it would be reasonable for her to feel hopeless or even angry at God. She has buried not only her husband, but also both of her children. In fact, she was very honest about how she felt! She asked that people call her Mara (which means bitter) because God had made her life bitter. Her honesty is something we should take note of. How many times do say we are "fine" rather than truthfully sharing that we are struggling? During this time of affliction, Naomi had a hard time seeing the big picture. She may have felt that God was punishing her, disliked her, or enjoyed seeing her pain. She may have believed in the sovereignty of God, but not the goodness of God. Why would a good God bring this pain? Throughout his teaching on this passage, Pastor Driscoll kept repeating: "God is sovereign AND good." If we don't believe that, we are doubting the very character of God. Yes, God is in control. Our God is a sovereign God! Yet, at the same time, He is such a good God. He holds each tear we shed. Also, He delights in blessing His children! However, so many times we are blinded by pain. Naomi couldn't see the future and the good that it held, and neither can we. But we can know that God IS good and gives us the blessing of "Sanctified Affliction."

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
~Romans 8:28~

This was such a wonderful reminder for me today. God is sovereign. He sees the pain and suffering I am going through. But he is also so, so good! He is so faithful to urge me on when I say I can't go on any longer. Morning by morning He fills my heart with enough praise, joy, peace, and strength to endure whatever the day may bring. His mercies are new every morning and His arms are wrapped so very tightly around me. I can relate to Naomi and the pain life brings. I can also rejoice because I know that I am experiencing "sanctified affliction." Wow. What a God we serve. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Micah,
    This was a really great study..so I'll be posting the exact same comments on your blog and on Tressa's :) :)I took six pages worth of notes and I'm amazed..
    there were things I already knew, but I learned some new things, as well as learned to look at some of the passages in a new way.
    1) Bethlehem means "House of bread"...I never knew that. I just knew about it in relationship to Jesus Christ...and it's totally ironic that Naomi, Elimelech and sons lives in the "house of bread" , yet there was none. Elimelech makes a move to another city/land thinking it'll be a better way of providing for his family. Instead, it ends up killing all the men in the family. They were relying on their own worries/decision making power instead of trusting God to provide for all their needs...you know what though, I can identify with that, because my father and I have known times of extreme difficulty...not having money to pay bills or buy food. So I can see how easy it would be to just want to pick up and move somewhere else...BUT that's not the solution....because difficulty can find you anywhere...but what doesn't change is God's faithfulness to us or His promise that He'll take care of us...and that includes the everyday things of life :) :)
    2) Something I"m still pondering but realized I'd never thought of before...all the prayers that were prayed in the book of Ruth were for other people. Never once did the person praying pray for herself. It was always for someone else...AND all of the prayers were answered by the end of the book. Not sure why that has intrigued me...but I'm gong to think/pray on it some more...
    3)"Hessed"..not sure if I spelled that right..but I thought it was so sweet that Naomi had absolutely nothing left to give...but she did, she gave of herself..She shared God with Ruth..praying that she, Ruth, would be blessed..and by the end of the book she will be :) :)
    4) Here's the big one that I talked about THE MOST with my father. Stop to consider for a moment how the Moabite people came into existence as a result of a wrong relationship Jacob had with his daughter, that resulted in a child. The Moabites had become some of the most disliked people among the Israelites....
    I'm sure Ruth knew that her people were not liked in Naomi's homeland. She had to have known..Maybe in a way, that was one of the reasons Naomi tried to get Ruth to turn back home. However, something in Naomi's life told Ruth that this God was/is real. God never talked to her. She just made this decision to trust God and follow Naomi..making Naomi her family. That took an extreme amount of faith and courage...especially since Ruth did not hav a single promise of security where she was headed...not a blessed thing except for God :) :) All she knew was that she would now follow God and not leave Naomi alone. That's all she had..and it was enough...because God provided so richly for her...
    Oh and the other is so important in my mind..that God took a woman who came from a hated land and people...blessed her decision to follow Him and adopt Naomi as her own family...and then place Ruth directly into the lineage of Jesus Christ....Jesus Christ who died on the cross and rose again...Jesus Christ who would become the singular most important figure for all of mankind..Jesus who loves every single one of us.
    I know that'll make me think twice when I look at someone who I don't like as much or who I think isn't very useful...I'll remember that God loves all of us and can/will use all of us to bring glory to Him...and also realize that no matter what others say/think about us/our lives...God loves us and has a plan for us.

    Anyway, there is so much more I could have said...but I really kept this short..Trust me, I worked hard not to write more :) :) :) I hope that's okay. Let me know if this is too long..but I really am enjoying this study!!!

    Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will tell you young ladies. That the Lord is looking from heaven and watching each one of you as you seek His face!!!!!!! I am so excited as to what the Lord will do individually in each of your iives. Different paths, but He wants it straight for you!!!!! God is so wonderful to meet each of us, IF we will humble ourselves to Him alone.

    So proud of all of you for being the examples He wants you to do. What you are gleaning, the Lord will use! Be sure to live it out, so many will want to follow Him!

    Love you all, Momma Stubbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you know what...Moabites...that was Lot and one of his daughters...I think I said it was Jacob..that was wrong. I'm listening to part II right now!!! Hugs, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather--I am so glad you got so much from it and were willing to share. Keep it coming! :)

    ReplyDelete