Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tending to Roses

Ever since I was little, I have loved people. Even before I knew what it was like to experience the love of Christ, I just wanted to be able to comfort people who were hurting. Now, after four years of being in an intimate, beautiful relationship with my Savior, these feelings have increased to a level I cannot describe! Now, I am overflowing with the love of God—love that tackles me like a hurricane, floods my heart like an ocean. Now that I have experienced such love, how can I do anything but share it? I look around me and see a world full of hurting, broken, and yet beautiful people—roses. I wish I could wrap my arms around each one, whisper in their ear that they are loved, and then gently place them in the arms of their Father. I so badly want them to know the love, joy, and peace that I have found in Him. I want to cry with them, but ultimately, celebrate with them as they discover the One they were truly made to worship. If only it were that easy. Although I have always loved people, I have always had a difficult time with trust. I grew up experiencing painful betrayal and breaking of trust. Since most of this time in my life was spend apart from the safety of my Lord, I was lost. I eventually became very protective. I was unwilling to let people near my heart because I was so terrified of being hurt again. I wanted so badly to tend to these roses, but was too scared of the thorns to bring them close. What if they reject me? What if I say something wrong? What if…what if…what if? Slowly, as God drew me into a deeper relationship with Him, He transformed my heart. I am His rose. I prick Him, yet He holds me closer than any other. I have betrayed Him more than should even be possible, yet, He continues to show me a love that changes me from the inside out. Through Him, I am able to love all “roses” sacrificially. The biggest thing I had to realize was that it was not me. If it was just me trying to embrace these broken people, why would it matter? I too am broken. I fail. I hurt. The difference is, I have been set free! I am no longer bound to my brokenness, failures, and pain. I have been picked up, brushed off, and called beautiful by the King of Kings. I was reminded of this just a few days ago. I was taking care of a disabled boy and had sent him to his room to calm down after an outburst. A while later, I went to him, wanting to comfort him and let him know he was forgiven. When I kneeled down next to him, he reacted in anger and frustration and hit me. God used the situation to speak to my heart. I realized that I did not regret going to that boy. It was so worth it to be able to express my love and forgiveness to him. God gently reminded me that no matter how many times I slap Him in the face, He is always willing to love me and forgive me. To protect myself instead of sharing the love of Christ in past years was so selfish! How many precious opportunities have I missed because I saw thorns instead of beautiful buds longing to blossom? I refuse to waste these opportunities anymore. God loves each and every person, faults and all. God is never afraid of being pricked. Rather, He is ready to pour out His love on each and every rose. As I draw nearer to my Father’s heart, I too will make this same decision. Fear of betrayal and pain will have no power over me. Don’t make the same mistake I made. Don’t waste the time and opportunities I did. Instead, love those roses. Embrace them! Let God’s love flow over in your heart and spill onto them. Draw so near to God that you can’t help but have His heart, His eyes, and His arms.
"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."
~1 John 4:16~
I love this song! It really expresses my heart:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the encouragement. The compassion that God has given you is such a sweet proof of how much He has satisfied you. You're pretty much filled to overflowing.
    I'd never heard that song before...I pray that God will give me that heart.

    By the way, I loved your analogy. It reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zR3h2UsR4

    ReplyDelete